Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Purpose

What exactly do I want to write about when it comes to these stories?

My last post has me thinking. Now, to be fair to myself, I picked a story that was in itself based solely on plot. Even the characters were not developed to a detailed extent. The combination of fantasy and science fiction throws a little wrench in the idea of picking out intriguing scientific theory.

So what am I looking for?

1. The Story
I'll first of all discuss what the story is about.

2. Why does it work? Or not work?
From a literary stand point, why do we enjoy this? What makes the story flow? Or, why is this particular story not as good as others?

3. What are some key scientific points that classify it as Science Fiction?
Now here is what I really want to talk about! I'm no scientist; while I can often get the basic idea in even the most complicated scientific theories that are used in stories, I want to know more. And I'm sure you do too. Let's research a bit together!

4. What are the best/worst examples of writing in this story?
And of course, quotes and small sections of the stories will run freely throughout. I love words, above all, and will always post something that popped out at me while I was reading. Or, if I am discussing a story from the negative side, I'll be sure to point out why it disagrees with me.

Plot summary is something that, in school, has been demonized. My professors tell me to stay away from it, and they are mostly right. I'll try my best to tell you the story without spoiling the reading for you, but stories in every aspect of their being is what this blog is all about. If you don't want spoilers, I suggest you read the story before the post!

Of course, my discussions will hardly be enough to take away the joy that comes from reading the original words in such masterpieces.

Musings! That's all from me.
L

P.S. GRUMBIES

No comments:

Post a Comment